Media Contact: David Thornburgh,
President and CEO, Committee of Seventy
firstname.lastname@example.org; 215-439-0879 c
Open Primaries PA hosting Virtual Advocacy Day to Secure Voting Rights
for All Pennsylvanians Ahead of Primary Elections
WHAT: Open Primaries PA, a coalition of civic and business organizations committed to open and free elections in Pennsylvania, is launching a Virtual Advocacy Day to campaign for the voting rights of more than 1 million Pennsylvanians who are registered as independent, unaffiliated or with a third party. These voters cannot currently vote for candidates in taxpayer-funded primary elections including the June 2 presidential primary.
Due to Pennsylvania’s closed primary system, instituted in the early 20th century, only Democrats and Republicans are allowed to participate in critical spring primary contests; all other voters must wait until the November general election to cast ballots for candidates. Open Primaries PA supports Senate Bill 300, which would allow unaffiliated voters shut out of primary elections in Pennsylvania to choose a Democratic or Republican ballot.
The Virtual Advocacy Day event will feature video messages from legislators, a 30-minute live panel discussion via Zoom, an expert Q&A, personal stories from independent voters, and resources shared throughout the day.
Hear from legislators in support of SB 300 and join the conversation! Join us during this virtual day of advocacy to learn more about why this legislation is so important for Pennsylvanians.
- WHEN: Tuesday, May 26, 2020; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- WHERE: Open Primaries PA Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OpenPrimariesPA
SPEAKER / INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES:
- David Thornburgh, President and CEO, Committee of Seventy
- Pat Christmas, Policy Director, Committee of Seventy
- Pennsylvania Senator Lisa Boscola
- Pennsylvania Representative Chris Quinn
- Pennsylvania Senator John Yudichak
- Jennifer Bullock, Founder, Independent Pennsylvanians
- John Opdycke, President, Open Primaries
Virtual Advocacy Day Schedule · Tuesday, May 26, 2020
- 9:00 AM - 9:10 AM: Video message from PA Senator Lisa Boscola
- 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM: Contact-Your-Representative Campaign to Urge Passage of SB 300 (All Day)
- 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM: Stories from PA Voters: "Why Open Primaries Matter to Me" (All Day)
- 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Open Primaries Q&A
- 11:00 AM - 11:10 AM: Video Message from PA Senator John Yudichak
- 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM: Lunchtime Live Video Panel Discussion
- 1:00 PM - 1:10 PM: Video Message from PA Representative Chris Quinn
Open Primaries PA is a growing coalition of civic and business organizations committed to open and free elections in Pennsylvania that lead to responsive and accountable government. Learn more about the new coalition and why Pennsylvania’s closed primary system must change at OpenPrimariesPA.org. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.