The Committee of Seventy is Philadelphia’s leading nonpartisan, voting rights and good government reform organization. We are committed to creating a vibrant democracy in Philadelphia and throughout Pennsylvania. We advocate for policy changes that empower citizens and strengthen the democratic process. Our work is crucial to achieving elections that are accessible, transparent, fair and secure, and government that is effective, transparent and accountable.
We seek a dynamic and experienced person to serve as the Vice President of External Affairs. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and coordinating our external engagement efforts, with a particular focus on developing policy positions and advocacy strategies for voting rights, election integrity, and good government reforms in Philadelphia and across Pennsylvania. The role is instrumental in shaping policy development and communicating Seventy’s mission to diverse audiences.
1. Policy Development and Advocacy:
- Stay up-to-date on local, state, and national political developments, particularly those affecting voting rights and government effectiveness, transparency and accountability.
- Develop and implement strategies to influence policy changes and advocate for reforms that align with Seventy’s mission.
- Build and maintain relationships with lawmakers, government officials, and key stakeholders to advance Seventy’s policy agenda.
- Collaborate with internal teams to design and execute effective advocacy campaigns.
- Be a trusted advisor to Seventy’s Board of Directors, Policy Committee Co-Chairs, and CEO.
- Prepare the agenda and secure guest speakers for Policy Committee Meetings.
2. External Communications:
- Together with the communications team, craft and execute a comprehensive communication strategy that conveys Seventy’s mission, goals, and achievements to the public, media, and partners.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and statewide media outlets to ensure Seventy’s issues receive the attention they deserve.
- Oversee the creation of press releases, op-eds, and other communication materials to support our advocacy efforts.
- Brief the CEO and other team members on key messages, background and current developments regarding policy and advocacy work
- Be the organization's spokesperson when required, and effectively communicate our positions to diverse audiences.
3. Community Engagement:
- Foster relationships with business organizations, non-profits, community organizations, grass-tops groups, and other stakeholders to build a diverse coalition of supporters and partners.
- Organize and participate in public events, forums, and community outreach activities to engage the public and advance our policy agenda.
- Collaborate with partners to mobilize citizens and encourage civic participation.
4. Government Relations:
- Monitor and engage with city and state government bodies on matters related to our mission.
- Develop and execute strategies to influence and shape legislation and policies.
- Represent the organization in discussions with government officials and agencies.
- Bachelor's or advanced (preferred) degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Communications, or a related field.
- A strong background in politics, policy, or advocacy work in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful advocacy campaigns and influencing policy change.
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Strong leadership and team management skills, with a track record of building and leading successful teams.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders and communities.
- Familiarity with voting rights and good government reform issues.
- Passion for democracy, voting rights, and good government reform.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and will range between $100k - 120k.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume, a cover letter outlining their qualifications and relevant experience, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Committee of Seventy is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and encourage candidates from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.